HOW TO KNIT A BABY SKIRT
This pattern has been on my mind for a while now and I've finally managed to get it done.It's a very simple and quick knit for a baby skirt, I have the instructions written for the lace skirt that I have knitted for this post.
YARN: Patons Smoothie 100g/skein 1(1,2); *you could also use a cotton yarn
NEEDLES: 4mm circular needles for knitting in the round using MAGIC LOOP METHOD
SIZES: 0-6months (6-12, 12-24)Notes: gauge it's not super duper important because it's a skater skirt and I've also added a waist band with an ICord belt, so your baby girl can wear it for a longer period of time. We all know babies grow fast!
· K1/K2- knit 1, knit 2
· YO- yarn over
· S2KP- slip 2, knit 1, pass slipped stitches over the
· knitted stitch
· K2tog: knit 2 together
· P- purl
· SSK: slip1, slip1, knit them through he back loopPart1🌸
Cast on 144(160, 192)
Work in the round the wishbone stitch for 4(5,6) times
· R1: *K1, YO, K2, S2KP, K2Tog,YO* repeat from * to* to the end of the round
· R2,4,6: knit all stitches including YO
· R3: *K2, YO, K1, S2KP, K1, YO, K1* repeat from * to * to the end of the round
· R5: *K3, YO, S2KP, YO, K2* repeat from *to* to the end of the round.Repeat R1-R6 for 4(5,6)- this is the bottom part of the lace for the skirt
NOTE : you can continue knitting the wishbone stitch until you start the decreases in stockinette, but if you want the exact one I've knited, continue with part 2 and 3.
You've finished he wishbone stitch and now you are ready for the garter stitch & yarn over line in between the lace.
Ø R1: purl all stitches
Ø R2: K1, *YO, K2yog*, repeat *to* to the end of the round
Ø R3: purl all stitches including the YO from the previous roundPart 3🌸
This is the second part of lace on the skirt, you can use the wishbone stitch pattern or other lace pattern
Lace pattern no2 worked on a 20 sts repeat for 10 rounds:
v R1 : *K1, YO, K2, SSK, P1, K2TOG, K2, YO, K1, YO, K2, SSK, P1, K2TOG, K2, YO*; repeat from *to* to the end of the round
v R2, 4,6,8,10: knit the knits including increases, purl the purls
v R3: *K2, YO, K1, SSK, P1, K2TOG, K1, YO, K3,YO, K1, SSK, P1, K2TOG, K1, YO, K1*; repeat from * to * to the end
v R5: *K3, YO, SSK, P1, K2TOG, YO, K5, YO, SSK, P1, K2TOG, YO, K2*; repeat from *to* to the end
v R7: *K1, K2TOG, YO, K2, P1, K2, YO, SSK, K1, K2TOG, YO, K2, P1, K2, YO, SSK*; repeat from * to* to the end
v R9: *K2TOG, YO, K3, P1, K3, YO, K3TOG_TBL, YO, K3, P1, K3, YO*, repeat from *to* to the endPart 4🌸
This part is worked in stockinette stitch in the round, which means we knit every round, however, it's also the part for the decreases or 'pleats'
Before decreases: work stockinette for 6(8,10) rounds
Decrease section- You don’t have to work all decrease rounds, if you think the waist would be too small you can stop decreasing on R5 or R6
· R1: *K10, K2tog*, repeat to the end of the round
· R2: *K9, K2 tog*, repeat to the end of the round
· R3: *K8, K2tog* repeat to the end of the round
· R4: *K7, K2tog* repeat to the end of the round
· R5: *K6, K2tog* repeat to the end of the round
· R6: *K5, K2tog* repeat to the end of the round
· R7: *K4, K2tog* repeat to the end of the roundPart 5
Waistband is worked in seed stitch for 7 rounds and on round 4 you want to work the YO that will be the wholes for the icord
R1,2,3,5,6,7: SEED STITCH
R4: P1, K1, P1, YO, P2tog, K1, P1, K1, YO, K2tog, P1...all the way to the end
Part 6: ICord
Cast on 3 sts on DPNs, slide the stitches from left to right, bring your yarn through the back and knit them, slide to work towards the right and knit them again, continue until your Icord is long enough.That is it, you are all done!