Best Banana Bread



The last couple of years I've been trying all kinds of banana bread recipes and I found that some use too much sugar, some taste to much like bread, so I've decide to combine my favourite ingredients and make my own. It does have sugar and butter, but not too much, I believe that if you use them in moderation, it's fine and it also tastes amazing!
Here is what you need!

Wet ingredients:
5 medium ripe bananas (the browner the better)
2 organic eggs
1tbs vanilla extract
6 tbsp soft brown sugar
30g melted butter or 2 tbsp vegetable oil

Dry ingredients: 
1tsp ground cinnamon
1tsp ground ginger
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 cup plain white flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour

Optional (but  they make a BIG difference)
1/2 cup walnuts
1/2 cup raisins 
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds (keep some for the topping)
2 tbsp sunflower seed 

Start by mashing the bananas (not too much, I like to find lumps in my slice), then add the eggs, vanilla, sugar and melted butter/oil. Once they are all combined, you can add the spices, baking powder and baking soda, salt, mix well, add the flours and fold in the nuts and  seeds, remembering to keep some for the topping, they taste really delicious as they toast in the oven on the banana bread. 


Place it in a loaf tin, lined with baking paper (I don't bother to cut my baking paper to fit it in the tin, I just scrunch it under the tap until it gets wet and push it in the corners of the tin, it's much easier and the water will keep the mixture moist). Bake in the centre of the oven at 170C Fan for about 45 min and until the skewer comes out clean. If you find that your loaf is getting too dark, cover it with tin foil for the last 10 minutes of the baking time to keep the seeds from toasting too much.  


Allow it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes and you can enjoy it warm or let it cool completely. It's great as breakfast or as a morning snack at work. If you decide to put it in the freezer, I recommend slicing it. I put mine in the toaster just to warm it up a bit. Enjoy!




Comments